Multistatus required in responses?

From: Kaushik Sridharan <kaushik@ruksun.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 20:14:09 +0530
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Hello all,

I have a question regarding WebDAV responses --

Are responses for specific methods required to be multistatus? I suppose GET
or HEAD requests will not result in a multistatus reponse; the RFC even
gives examples for LOCK where the response is a 200 OK. But can other
requests like PROPFIND result in a non-multistatus response, say in a
situation where a single resource is being queried?

The PROFIND section 8.1 in the RFC says that "servers MUST support returning
a response [..] that contains a multistatus XML element", but later in the
same section it says "a request to retrieve the value of a property which
does not exist is an error and MUST be noted, **if** the response uses a
multistatus XML element..." (emphasis mine).

The last "if" makes it unclear whether clients should be prepared to accept
PROPFIND (or other) responses that are not multistatus.

I apologize if this question has been answered before on this list.

Thanks,

Kaushik