From: Dan Burton [mailto:DPBURTON@novell.com]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 12:16 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: Re: Webfolders and URL encoding

Hopefully I'm not out of place with this question.

Talking about URL encoding and webfolders, how should non-ASCII characters
be encoded? It looks like the Microsoft webfolders encodes them based on the
Windows code page. There is a setting in IE5 that says "Always send URLs as
UTF-8". However WebFolders ignores this setting and never sends the URLs as
UTF-8. The problem I have is that I can not reliably determine what a
character is when it is encoded using code pages.

Thanks,
Dan

>>> "Tim Ellison/OTT/OTI" <Tim_Ellison@oti.com> 04/28/00 12:44PM >>>

This is true (see also http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc1738.html).

So this format is different to the MIME format called "application/
x-www-form-urlencoded", (ref.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.4.1) and in
particular is different to the java.net.URLEncoder behaviour.  This will
likely cause 'interesting' incompatibilities with many Java based clients.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Tim

                    Greg Stein

                    <gstein@lyra.        To:     Tim Ellison/OTT/OTI
<Tim_Ellison@oti.com>
                    org>                 cc:     w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

                                         Subject:     Re: Webfolders and URL
encoding
                    28-04-00

                    02:12 PM

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Tim Ellison/OTT/OTI wrote:
> While we are on the subject of webfolders, can anyone provide insight as
> why WebFolders does not use '+' to encode the space character when doing
> URL encoding, and fails to recognise it on responses from the server?
>
> WebFolders appear to consistently use %20 for the space char, and don't
> decode '+' when one is returned.

'+' is not a valid encoding for 'space'. Some clients and servers do it
for parts of a URL (particularly within the 'query' section), but it is
not standard.

Refer to RFC 2396 (URLs) and RFC 2616 (HTTP), Section 3.2.
  http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc2396.html
  http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc2616.html

Cheers,
-g