RE: WebFolders case sensitive

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 05:12:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
cc: Martin Hallerdal <marty@site.se>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> > When trying out my DAV server I noticed that Microsofts Web Folders had
> > problems when I sent "HTTP/1.1 200 Ok" as status line  in a PROFIND
> > response, e.g.
> >
> > <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 Ok</D:status>
> >
> > But when I use upper case characters everything works nicely, e.g.
> >
> > <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this? This is bad behaviour by Web Folders is it not?
>
> Well, I can't confirm the behavior, but if this is indeed what is going on,
> then it's non-compliant behavior.  The status XML element is defined as
> "status-line", which is defined in HTTP/1.1, and status-line will accept any
> text except for CR and LF. So lower case should have been fine. In fact,
> anything there should have been fine -- the "OK" isn't meaningful to the
> protocol.

I'm only here for about five more hours before leaving for the weekend
(and still getting out from a couple days of email while I was gone :-( ),
so I haven't done testing on the above problem. But I can echo what Jim
says: it shouldn't be looking at that text. In fact, mod_dav regularly
issues status line like this:

<D:status>HTTP/1.1 424 status text goes here</D:status>

(Apache doesn't provide a way to get standard text for error codes)

I haven't heard or seen any problem related to this.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/