Re: Section 23.4 Appendix 4 - XML Namespace in WebDAV

From: Fredrik Lundh <fredrik@pythonware.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:13:42 +0200
To: <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, <ccjason@us.ibm.com>, "WEBDAV WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> Since I can't find any mention in REC-xml-names of how to combine the
> namespace and the element name to form a single identifier, perhaps you
> could point out the sections that you feel are in conflict, so I can focus
> my explanation on them.

are we talking about whether the following elements are
equivalent or not?

     <cars:part xmlns:cars="http://www.cars.com/xml"/>
     <cars:mlpart xmlns:cars="http://www.cars.com/x"/>
     <cars:xmlpart xmlns:cars="http://www.cars.com/"/>

if so, I've once asked James Clark about this, and his answer was
that "the XML namespaces spec doesn't make them equivalent",
but on the other hand, that an XML system using namespaces
can treat them all the same if it wants to.

Cheers /F
http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik