Re: Section 23.4 Appendix 4 - XML Namespace in WebDAV

From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:39:33 EST
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
>are we talking about whether the following elements are
>equivalent or not?
>
>     <cars:part xmlns:cars="http://www.cars.com/xml"/>
>     <cars:mlpart xmlns:cars="http://www.cars.com/x"/>
>     <cars:xmlpart xmlns:cars="http://www.cars.com/"/>
>
>if so, I've once asked James Clark about this, and his answer was
>that "the XML namespaces spec doesn't make them equivalent",
>but on the other hand, that an XML system using namespaces
>can treat them all the same if it wants to.

Scream, wail, moan.

If the spec doesn't make them equivalent, a system that treats
them as equivalent (e.g., a system that implements DAV as
currently specified) is going to run into trouble when it
encounters XML generated by somebody that didn't think they
were equivalent.

--
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |