Re: IE5 Interoperability with my WebDAV server...

At 08:23 3/25/99 -0800, Imran Khan wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>Since some of you have done IE5 interoperability testing successfully I
>was wondering if you could help me out. When I do try to access my
>WebDAV server and open it as Web Folder, IE sends the following
>request:
>
>OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1
>
>and my response is:
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:52:29 GMT
>Accept-Ranges: none
>Allow: OPTIONS, GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, TRACE, COPY, MOVE, MKCOL,
>PROPFIND, PROPPATCH
>Public: OPTIONS, GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, TRACE, COPY, MOVE, MKCOL,
>PROPFIND, PROPPATCH
>DAV: 1, 2
>
>But right after this my guess is IE thinks I am a frontpage server
>instead of WebDAV Server and sends the following request:
>"GET /_vti_inf.html HTTP/1.1", and after that POST something and so on.
>
>How do I workaround this, should I be sending redirector or something.
>Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Urk.  IE 5 is finicky.  I recommend getting a TCP packet snooper and
watching the interaction between IE 5 and a server that does speak
its brand of WebDAV.

One thing I've noticed in doing this kind of sniffing is that there's
a header that you can return with OPTIONS:

MS-Author-Via: DAV

that may help.

IE 5.0 Beta didn't like default namespaces; I haven't tested to see if
IE 5 has fixed that yet.  I'm not sure, but I think it needs to have
the status tag come before the prop in a propstat.

Be prepared for its upload.  When you drop something into Web Folders,
it first does a HEAD on the prospective location, then does a PUT
with Content-Length: 0, and then another PUT with the actual file.

--
%% Max Rible %% max@glyphica.com %% http://www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
%% "Before enlightenment:  sharpen claws, catch mice.                   %%