Why is DASL restricted to SELECT query or no conditional PROPPATCH...

From: Imran Khan <imrank123@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:51:47 -0800 (PST)
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Hi,
I am confused because of SEARCH, PROPFIND and PROPPATCH and find
myself in a situation where everything I see almost seems to solve the
problem but never completely does.

My goal is to be able to do conditional PROPFIND and PROPPATCH not
based on some If: header stuff but based on some property values etc.
I see that SEARCH is basically PROPFIND with filter, so I guess I
don't need to use PROPFIND anymore, am I right?

Now looking at DASL draft it seems like it supports only SELECT....,
and not the whole gamut of SQL stuff like UPDATE...WHERE or
INSERT...WHERE etc. My point is that why was PROPFIND and PROPPATCH
not retrofitted with SQL search syntax (could be XML-based). To me
extending SEARCH method with INSERT, UPDATE etc doesn't seem to be
right thing because as it says SEARCH seems mean read-only.

I guess I could always some kind of XML-based filter syntax to
PROPFIND, but just out of curiosity I was wondering why this didn't
come up? Am I missing something here.

Thanks,
Imran