PUT on collections

From: <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:46:55 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

RFC 2518 section 8.7.2   speaks of PUT on Collections.  It basically seems to
say that RFC 2518 is intentionally silent on the matter.

I'm curious...  I generally thnk of PUT and GET as complimentary.  I'd expect
collections to be able to accept PUT requests because they can accept GET
requests.

What is peoples' thinking on how a client will define what is returned by a GET
request for a URI like...

http://www.myhost.com/

I'm just looking for common conventions for now.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com