Re: Win98 'Web Folders'?

From: Yoram Last <ylast@mindless.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 01:50:04 +0300
To: Chris Price <cprice@its.to>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

>         I am a Apache web server admin. I have many users that maintain their
> own business websites. I have recently had two requests asking if we
> supported Win98 Web Folders. I haven;t a clue about Win98 web folders,
> but had done some preliminary reading on WebDAV and thought the two
> might be related.

If the access of your users is currently implemented by them being independent
system users (each with a valid UID/GID, home directory, etc.), then you might
want to take a look at WebRFM from:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/7772/webrfm.html

WebRFM provides server-side WebDAV support (and it works with the IE 5 Web
Folders) through a CGI program that is being run with the UID/GID of the
accessing user (so OS-based access control, quota limits, etc., are being
imposed). As far as I know, this is the only (practical and existing) way
to add WebDAV support to Apache in a way that would merge into an OS-based
security framework.

Yoram