Re: A proposal for Advanced Collection binding semantics, UNBIND before BIND

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 22:54:19 -0400
To: ejw@ics.uci.edu
Cc: ccjason@us.ibm.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

   From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>

   >    I say go with Geoff's proposal and see how messy it gets.  If
   > we find we are
   >    going to get entangled in access control issues (although
   > probably far fewer
   >    than COPY) we can punt.

   So, should the UNBIND be applied to collection resources, as well as
   individual resources (i.e., what happens when the Request-URI ends in "/")?
   This is a pretty large side effect (but, granted, consistent with RFC 2518).

The unbind (i.e. advanced collection DELETE :-) should work the same,
whether or not the target of the UNBIND is a collection or not, and
whether or not the trailing "/" is specified or not.  In particular,
it removes a single binding from the advanced collection containing
the resource being deleted.  In case the binding is to a collection,
the DELETE can remove an entire tree of URL-to-resource mappings (but
to emphasize, only deletes a single binding).

Cheers,
Geoff