Re: A proposal for Advanced Collection binding semantics, UNBIND before BIND

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 22:32:45 -0400
To: ccjason@us.ibm.com
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
   From: ccjason@us.ibm.com

   > > or to modify an existing binding (by associating
   > > it with a different resource).

   And later Geoff mentioned difference between this and PROPFIND
   replacing a value of a property.  There is a difference.  PROPFIND
   deals with the access control of a single resource or property.  The
   BIND behavior in question deals with two resources I think.

It deals with several resources (the advanced collection containing the
binding, the original resource being bound, the new resource being bound),
but only one resource is being modified (namely, the advanced collection).

Imagine a property that contains a URL (i.e. a reference to another
resource).  You do a PROPPATCH on that property to change the URL
(i.e. make it reference a different resource).  There are serveral
resources involved (the resource containing the property, the resource
identified by the original URL, the resource identified by the new URL),
but only one resource is being modified, namely, the resource containing
the property.

   I say go with Geoff's proposal and see how messy it gets.  If we find we are
   going to get entangled in access control issues (although probably far fewer
   than COPY) we can punt.

I'm happy with that approach (:-).

Cheers,
Geoff