RE: Advanced collections and ordering

Thanks for catching the bad cross-reference.  It's on my list of things to
fix.

I think only server-maintained orderings would be found in the list coming
back from OPTIONS.  The server has to allow any client-maintained ordering,
so the possibilities there are completely open-ended.
Including a description of the ordering for human consumption might be
useful, though.

> The main reason I can see for including options for server-maintained
> orderings in WebDAV is that once you make orderings possible, WebDAV
> clients will then pay attention to order, rather than doing their
> own sorting; as soon as you have clients paying attention to order,
> you'll have administrators wanting to choose the order that clients
> see.  Specifying DASL or XQL queries for *specifying* the
> server-maintained
> ordering is probably too big a can of worms to open.  I think
> the DAV:options idea leaves enough room for later fine tuning after
> WebDAV has had some time to evolve, and does not impose an undue
> burden on implementors.

Good.  Thanks again for your suggestions and for reviewing the latest
changes.

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation