RE: Don't copy live properties

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:31:01 PST
To: "Yaron Goland" <yarong@microsoft.com>, "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
I think the way out of the live property quandary is not to try to
overspecify server behavior, but rather, to reduce client dependence
on server behavior.

Despite the useful goal of wanting server predictability, you
might not always accomplish it, and it's not a goal that
requires you to be uncompromising about it.

I don't think it is possible to specify server behavior on COPY
when applied to live properties. So I think the standard should
say that it is unspecified. It's not required, it's not outlawed,
it's just unspecified. Clients shouldn't depend on it.

Similarly, for all of the reasons given for inventing live
properties in the first place, don't think it is a good idea
to "outlaw" live properties. However, interoperable
clients shouldn't depend on them.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter