W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-dist-auth@w3.org > October to December 1998

initial results of interoperability testing with CyberTeams WebDAV server.

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:54:25 PST
Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981230155425.00988ab0@mailback.parc.xerox.com>
To: Randall Severy <severy@cyberteams.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Cc: webdav-list@cyberteams.com
I attempted to test my Python DAV client against the CyberTeams
WebDAV server.  I found many problems, in fact they were so severe that I
did the bulk of my testing my opening a telnet connection and pasting in
the request bodies.

It is of course possible that the true problem lies in my client library,
not the CyberTeams server.  I would be pleased to have my error revealed to
me if so.

1. The PROPFIND response seems odd in a few ways.

Here is the response I got for a PROPFIND (with no body) on /.  I've
indented the response myself for clarity, it was not part of the original.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV" xmlns:W="http://www.cyberteams.com/">
 <D:response>
  <D:href>http://serv1-r.fwi.com/</D:href>
  <D:propstat>
   <D:prop>
      <D:creationdate>(null)</D:creationdate>
      <D:displayname>(null)</D:displayname>
      <D:getcontentlength>0</D:getcontentlength>
      <D:getlastmodified>(null)</D:getlastmodified>
      <D:getcontenttype>httpd/unix-directory</D:getcontenttype>
      <D:resourcetype/>
      <D:supportedlock/>
      <FileSize>1536</FileSize>
     </D:prop>
    <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
   </D:propstat>
  </D:response>
</D:multistatus>


 1. creationdate is wrong.  The DAV spec (13.1) says this property, if
 present, contains a time stamp in date-time (1SO 8601) format.  the
 value "(null)" is not acceptable.  Since this is an optional property,
 it would be better to omit it from the response.

 Likewise for getlastmodified, except it should be an HTTP-date.

 2. In my opinion, it would be better to omit displayname altogether
 than to return "(null)", but this is just opinion, not an error.
 
 3. getcontenttype is (probably) wrong.  I think (but am not certain)
 that 'httpd/unix-directory' is a not registered MIME type.

 4. 'FileSize' is missing a namespace.  Not stricly speaking an error,
 but it's weird.  Also I don't see the namespace prefix W used
 anywhere.  Perhaps it should have been used here?

2. I tried PROPFIND for a non-existant resource (/jrd/), and got:

 HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
 Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:16:36 GMT

 The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
 unable to complete your request.

 Please contact the server administrator, webdav@cyberteams.com and
 inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might
 have done that may have caused the error.

 Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while
 trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

3. MKCOL on a resource whose parent does not exist, e.g. 
 MKCOL fish/Nixon/sneakers 

 returned no error, but should have failed, as the parents don't exist.

It seems to have created /jrd/fish

4. Although PROPFIND with no method body works, I could not get it to
work with a non-null method body, e.g.

PROPFIND / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.fwi.com
Authorization: Basic anJkOmZvbw==
Content-Type: text/xml
Content-Length: 104

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<D:propfind xmlns:D="DAV:">
<D:prop><D:resourcetype/></D:prop>
</D:propfind>

I tried several variations, and all of them failed.

5. Deleting a non-existant resource returned a response body with
invalid XML:

DELETE /jrd/foo.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.fwi.com
Authorization: Basic anJkOmZvbw==

returned

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV" xmlns:W="http://www.cyberteams.com/">
<D:response>
</D:response>
</D:multistatus>

This response is invalid according to the syntax in 12.9.1.

Response must contain at least one href, and it must contain either a
status or one or more propstats.

Also, in my opinion, this method should have returned a 404 (Not
Found) status, not a 207 (Multistatus)

6. I think the server is handling XML namespace attributes
incorrectly. The URL in the attribute is missing the final colon,
e.g. it's <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV"  >

but should be <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:"  >

7. I tried to PUT /foo.html

PUT /foo.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.fwi.com
Authorization: Basic anJkOmZvbw==
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Length: 16

barking pumpkin

and got back a 412 precondition failed, yet the data was written
anyway (as confirmed by a subsequent GET)

A subsequent PROPFIND on this resource returns (null) for
DAV:getlastmodified, despite the fact that the Last-Modified header is
provided in the reply.  Also, the getcontentlength is 0.

On the other hand, at least one thing did work:

HEAD on a 'plain' resource (e.g. foo.html) worked fine as did HEAD on
a collection.  HEAD on a collection without the trailing slash
returned a 301 (Moved Permanently) which is quite reasonable.

I look forward to working with you to resolve these errors.

Jim
Received on Wednesday, 30 December 1998 18:54:46 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 18:43:48 GMT