RE: Use of DAV properties for structural protocol elements

I take it that this note is part of the discussion of backpointers.  So it
is meant primarily as an argument in favor of standardizing backpointers,
just as we should standardize the collection-related properties Lisa
proposed.  Because as structural (I would call them "operational")
properties, failure to use them consistently across clients can cause
interoperability problems.

I see two other implications as well:

1. The DAV spec actually contains some mistakes because it does not
distinguish between operational and descriptive live properties.

I agree that the spec's directives about how to treat live properties on
COPY are broken, but not that the operational / descriptive could completely
solve the problems.  The spec says that servers SHOULD copy live properties
as live, identically behaving properties (that is, they wouldn't necessarily
have the same value at the destination); if they cannot keep the properties
live at the destination, they MUST copy them as dead properties or else fail
the request.

There are problems with both clauses.

Where the presence or absence of the property tells something about the
state or capabilities of the resource, we can't dictate that the property
must be copied with the resource at all.  The DAV:lockdiscovery property
should not be copied with a resource, since the copy is not locked.  Other
operational properties, whose presence indicates support for some optional
WebDAV functionality, cannot be copied if the destination is on a part of
the server (or on another server) that does not support the related
functionality (DAV:supportedlock, DAV:reftype, etc.).

For some properties, where the value could be seriously misleading, it is
better not to copy them at all than to copy them as dead properties.

2.  Because clients will want to display for users only descriptive
properties, maybe we need an attribute of properties: IsDescriptive
(boolean).  And a new element for use with PROPFIND -- descriptiveprop --
which retrieves all descriptive properties, in contrast to allprop, which
retrieves all properties, both descriptive and operational.

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation
jslein@crt.xerox.com