Re: Version merging questions

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:26:12 -0500
To: ckaler@microsoft.com
Cc: muniz@inf.puc-rio.br, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
   From: Chris Kaler <ckaler@microsoft.com>

   What I believe we have specified to date is that there are "conceptually"
   two revision graphs.  There is a graph that the server maintains and
   asserts is correct and there is a graph that is specified by the client
   that may be incorrect.

I disagree.  It is not an issue of correctness or incorrectness, but
rather an issue of modifiable and non-modifiable predecessor
relations.  The reason to maintain a tree of non-modifiable
predecessor relations is just a recognition of the fact that many
implementations of branching and delta storage make it very expensive
or even impossible to move a version from one branch to another.
Logically, the predecessor in this tree is no more "correct" than
the modifiable predecessors created by the MERGE method.

Cheers,
Geoff