Re: Update to draft-ietf-webdav-dublin-core

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 10:26:02 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
CC: meta2@net.lut.ac.uk
"Geoffrey M. Clemm" wrote:

> The first is: Should there be an XML DTD for WebDAV properties?  I
> believe the answer is "yes", and not only should complex properties be
> describable in XML,

WebDAV properties are already represented in XML (when they go over the wire, at
least--there's an ongoing, nicely irrelevant, dispute over whether properties
*are* XML :-).

> but an entire object, even a collection object,
> should have an XML representation.

What advantages would this representation have over the existing MIME
representation?

> The second is: Should the only way to update a WebDAV object be by
> specifying the full XML description of the new object?

Incremental updates would be nice, but we don't need them in the base protocol,
since they can be replaced (less efficiently) via a sequence of
LOCK/PROPFIND/PROPPATCH/UNLOCK.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | I have strong opinions about            |
|francis@netscape.com      |  ambivalence.                           |