Re: Hierarchical URLs and Collections

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:12:26 -0700
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
CC: "Falkenhainer, Brian" <Brian_Falkenhainer@mc.xerox.com>, "Garnaat, Mitchell" <MGarnaat@crt.xerox.com>, "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, masinter@parc.xerox.com
Paton, Jeff J wrote:

> Architecting WebDAV to enforce the effect of the statement "declaring that
> version 1.13 descends from version 1.1 instead of 1.12, which means you lose
> the audit trail that versioning provides" is going to limit its use in the
> real world: people make mistakes and manipulation to correct the effect of
> incorrectly submitting a version needs to be available.

The problem is that, for many/most applications, that audit trail is vital,
even legally required, so I'd really rather have a protocol that doesn't let
you mess with it.  The implementation might provide an admin interface for
doing such corrections--at a minimum, we can never stop the admin from going to
the filesystem and tweaking things by hand--but it should not be possible for
an ordinary user with a DAV client.

--
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.| S/MIME supported  |