Re: Additional WebDAV Requirements?

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:09:11 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Jeffrey E. Sussna wrote:

> The RFC states that it should be possible to remove locks.
> It says nothing about under what circumstances, or by
> whom. With respect to locking and reservations, it is
> critical that a mechanism be supported to release dangling
> locks or reservations.

Certainly this is necessary in a product; but I don't think
it's necessary in the standard.  Generally, servers come
with administrative UIs or utilities; those UIs could
provide this functionality however they desire.  Come to
that, some/many DAV servers will be built around existing
document management systems; such servers could be
implemented in such a way that you could just delete the
lock in the DMS.  (It wouldn't be automatic; it would
require the DAV server to consult with the DMS to verify the
lock was still valid every time it was used.)
--
John Stracke
Software Retrophrenologist