RE: Requirements for Collections

Members-by-reference allow the same resource to be shared by many
collections, in a way that doen't require physical copies of it in many
locations, and that insures that changes to the resource will be reflected
in all the collections that reference it.

At 01:45 PM 2/25/98 PST, Wesley Felter wrote:
>I'm new to this list and to WEBDAV in general, so forgive me if this is a
popular question but I didn't see a good answer on the Web site.

>What is the purpose of members-by-reference for collections? In the common
case (files or some other hierarchially structured set of data),
collections only have internal members. Can someone give a concrete example
of a situation that uses members-by-reference?