From: James Blaisdell [mailto:webdav@rapidlogic.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 1998 12:16 PM
To: WEBDAV WG
Subject: [Spam?] File attributes (was :File attributes (RE: The 7 Deadly
Sins of Versioning))

What you're asking would require a way to attach file attributes/properties
to a document.  One of the best things about WebDAV is that it make very
few assumptions about the server's underlying OS.  Inorder to keep track of
different properties for a document you would need something akin to a
resource fork.

There are some simple work-a-rounds:
Different directories could store different language versions of a document.
The html documents could contain a META tag that specifies the language.

What you are proposing is a much more elegant solution, however where would
one stop?  Certainly content language is not the only http header one may
wish to attach to a document, the protocol would have to have a way to
specify all of the header information for a specific document.  Opening a
whole new can a worms, and actually changing the way an HTTP server
operates.

j.