RE: The 7 Deadly Sins of Versioning

From: Marcus Jager <mjager@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:30:53 -0700
To: WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Hi,

Excuse me for de-lurking and asking a silly question.

Is it necessary to handle versioning differently from language alternates?

To put it another way, can we unify the problem to how we handle alternate
resources for particular resource. Thus leaving the problem of
interpretation of what the alternates mean and operating on them to the
clients outside of WebDAV.

So far WebDAV has avoided forcing any structure or format on the contents of
the resources that it accesses and stores. I think it would be dangerous to
give this up.

Marcus.