Re: FW: question on "charset"s

From: <Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 12:16:26 PDT
To: jdavis@parc.xerox.COM
cc: Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
OK, thanks.  I too hope others speak up.

Am I right in presuming a server is allowed to offer "content negotiation" over
charset of a resource given to it, necesarily in exactly one charset, by PUT?
Presumably a server is also allowed to be completely inflexible in its "content
negotiation" over charset.  If these things are so, then I would not be
surprised to hear that (1) a server is allowed, but certainly not required, to
return exactly (byte-for-byte) the given entity body when given no guidance
through Accept-Charset, and (2) a server is allowed, but certainly not
required, to map given entity bodies into a single charset preferred by the
server and offer only that charset in "content negotiation", and (3) lots of
other variations, as these are all a matter of server policy, which the
protocol aims to not restrict.

Does WebDAV have anything like charset negotiation for properties?  If not,
it's not obvious to me that the above analysis would apply to properties.