Re: FW: question on "charset"s

At 10:06 AM 5/20/98 PDT, Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com wrote:
>That's starting to answer the question for entities; HTTP/1.1 doesn't have
>properties.

I assume that properties will be treated just like entity bodies.

>HTTP/1.1, at the start of section 9.6, says ``The PUT method requests that
the
>enclosed entity be stored under the supplied Request-URI''.  I'd say the most
>natural interpretation of this is that the entity body be preserved
>byte-for-byte.

Uh, I think you'll find some disagreement on this.  For one thing, consider
active content (e.g. server side includes).

Earlier traffic on this list (Sorry, I don't have time to search for it)
has stressed the *absence* of any such guarantee.  WebDAV does not, for
example, promise that the result of a COPY is byte-for-byte the same.  It
says (7.8.1) the result is "a new resource ... whose state and behavior
match that of the source resource as closely as possible".

This is the last I'll say on the topic.  Hopefully someone better informed
will speak up.