Re: Removing External References

At 12:13 PM 12/17/97 PST, Ellis Cohen wrote:
>.. I'd like to propose that we remove external
>references from the current document....
>As far as I know, all of us who would like to see external
>references in WebDav believe that they are most
>useful if they are named and/or numbered.

Speaking for myself only, I don't agree.  I don't see the need for naming
or numbering external members (as opposed to ordering *all* members, which
I have argued for) and I also believe that external members are quite
useful even without any naming or numbering at all.  As evidence for the
latter, there is a Xerox product called DocuShare which is a Web-based
repository for documents.  In the DocuShare model, a "collection" (they
don't call them collections but that's okay) can store both external
members (URLs) and internal members.  There is no ordering or numbering.
(Everything has a name, it's true, but DAV already provides a name in the
form of the displayname property.)

So I must respectfully deny your assertion.  We need external members, and
we don't need numbering.  Removing external members would hurt, and I see
nothing to gain by holding out for "numbered" external members.