RE: proposal for ordered collections

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:47:22 -0800
To: "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, "w3c-dist-auth@w3.org" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Jim,

Thank you for posting this proposal for ordered collection support in the
WebDAV protocol.

While at first read, this proposal appears to adequately provide for
ordered collections, I wonder about its hidden assumption: that one
ordering for a collection is all you need.  I wonder whether it might be
desirable to support multiple simultaneous orderings instead.

A brief sketch of how this could be accomplished is to have a predefined
"ordering" property defined on a collection.  This property could then have
multiple orderings defined within it.  A client which was interested in the
ordering could read the "ordering" property, and then make use of one of
the orderings in the property.  Each ordering could be supported by a
different schema. Modifying the ordering is accomplished by modifying the
property.

An example "ordering" property is:

<?XML:NAMESPACE HREF="http://www.ietf.org/standards/dav/" AS="d"?>
<?XML:NAMESPACE HREF="http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/davprop/" AS="j"?>
<?XML:NAMESPACE HREF="http://www.parc.xeroc.com/davprop/" AS="x"?>
<d:ordering>
  <j:alphaorder>
     <d:href>http://foo.bar.com/collection/body.html</d:href>
     <d:href>http://foo.bar.com/collection/conclusion.html</d:href>
     <d:href>http://foo.bar.com/collection/intro.html</d:href>
  </j:alphaorder>

  <x:compound>
     <d:href>http://foo.bar.com/collection/intro.html</d:href>
     <d:href>http://foo.bar.com/collection/body.html</d:href>
     <d:href>http://foo.bar.com/collection/conclusion.html</d:href>
  </x:/compound>
</d:ordering>

This could also be accomplished using the RDF data model and XML
representation.

- Jim