Re: Access to Audit log

From: Judith Slein <slein@wrc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 12:55:43 PDT
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Cc: Barbara Bazemore <barbarab@pcdocs.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
System administrators can often submit queries against an audit log, like
"What resources has user X accessed in the past month?" "Who has modified
the metadata of resource R in the past month?" "How many users have accessed
resource R in the past month?" This kind of information can be useful for
billing, depending on what service is being provided.  It seems to be more
in the area of site administration than authoring, though.  I'm not sure
whether it's really in the scope of WEBDAV.

--Judy

At 10:51 AM 5/21/97 PDT, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>>While it is not mandatory for a server to support an audit log, it is
>>very common.  Most document access clients provide a "Show History"
>>feature.   Therefore I need a standard way to ask for audit log
>>entries pertaining to a particular document, user or date-time range.
>> I didn't see audit log access anywhere in the WebDAV requirements.  I
>>would consider this a requirement for a useful WebDAV server.
>
>For versioned resources, there is a requirement (5.9.2.7) which states that
>the version topology for a version graph must be retrievable.  This gives
>you predecessor and successor relationships for each member of a version
>graph.
>
>What type of information is typically included in an audit log?  What are
>the use scenarios for this information?  Why do you feel there needs to be
>an interoperability specification for this information?
>
>- Jim

Name:			Judith A. Slein
E-Mail:			slein@wrc.xerox.com
Internal Phone:  	8*222-5169