Re: Web Browser WEBDAV support

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 00:32:21 PDT
To: Jon Radoff <jradoff@novalink.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Document Management companies are doing a fine job of delivering
web and java based applications that allow some kind of authoring
and document management applications to run using standard web
browsers. (There are dozens, I think;
http://www.xerox.com/products/docushare/ is an example.)
We don't need any additional standards work to allow such
applications; as you say, they work with standard browsers.

WEBDAV is trying to solve a different problem: a protocol
level interface to sufficent capabilities for new versioning-based
authoring applications to have direct access. Since we're
looking for interoperability for a new set of functionality
at the protocol level, we need standards for those new functions
if we're really going to have interoperability.

Larry