Re: Clarification

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:11:27 -0700
To: Jon Radoff <jradoff@novalink.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

>Based on this statements can it also be assumed that an intention
>of WebDAV would be for it to be possible to perform WebDAV methods
>without new client software, e.g., use an HTML form to acquire
>information about desired methods and parameters which then feeds into
>the Web server a request which can be fulfilled?  In other words,
>could the end-user interactive elements of the WebDAV infrastructure be
>centralized at the server, utilizing the Web browser as simply a
>communications channel?  Could I use IE?  Netscape 2.0?  Mosaic?
>Lynx (only kidding).

I suspect that you will be able to construct a server which exposes WebDAV
functionality via an HTML interface -- the BSCW system (http://bscw.gmd.de)
is one example of how this might look.  However, I don't think the WebDAV
group needs to be concerned about this case because this type of operation
does not require an interoperability standard.

In general, there hasn't been a major concern with preserving downlevel
client interoperability given the rapid turnover of client software, and
the small base of existing Web distributed authoring clients.

- Jim