Re: data URIs - filename and content-disposition

On 24.02.2010 08:04, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
> I have a web page that's meant to run locally via file:. It uses XHR to
> load a vcard file. I then scan the file and convert it to a different
> text file format.
>
> I want to provide a save link for the new file format, so I decided to
> use a data URI. But, I want clicking on the data URI link to show an
> open/save dialog.
>
> I was able to do this by using <a
> href="data:application/octetstream;charset=utf-8,file_data"
> target="_blank">Save</a>.
>
> However, there are 2 problems.
>
> 1. There doesn't seem to be a way to give a filename hint.
>
> 2. I'd rather not use the octetstream mime type just to trigger a save
> dialog.
>
> With that said, I think it'd be awesome if you could do something like:
>
> <a
> href="data:text/plain;charset=utf-8;filename=tada.txt;content-disposition=attachment,file_data">Save</a>.
>

> Setting aside the File API work, what about specifying those two in an
> update to the data URI RFC? Any vendors against implementing support for
> it?

Sounds like a nice idea; a few thoughts:

- Given the sad state of data URI parsing in UAs, it may be hard to
deploy this extension; did you make tests whether existing UAs properly
parse (== ignore) new parameters?

- An alternative would to define a way to include arbitrary headers; so
that Content-Disposition could be used as defined (but this may get messy)

- It would be nice to align this with the current IETF work on
rephrasing RFC 2231 and RFC 2183 for use in HTTP...

Best regards, Julian