Re: [Uri-review] ssh URI

From: Bob Aman <bob@sporkmonger.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:16:33 -0400
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Cc: Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>, uri-review@ietf.org, uri@w3.org
>  - Downloadable software that would cause the browser to recognize such
> URIs in the future, and handle them appropriately (i.e., by opening a
> secure shell, rather than by fetching a page from sshuri.org).
> Furthermore, such software might even be programmed to recognize and
> handle the "ssh:" URI scheme as well.

I have a problem with this in the general case because I don't think
there's currently a way for such a URI to be registered to a specific
application in any major browser.  And for the specific case, I can
think of at least one use case where you might want to link to an ssh
URI in a browser:  HTTP-based admin interfaces to machines.

And I'll also repeat my previous comment for emphasis:  This concept
is just confusing.

-1 to the concept of using anything under the http/https scheme to
formally represent an ssh identifier.

-Bob Aman