Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:03:26 -0400
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>
Eran Hammer-Lahav scripsit:

> Without passing judgment on your proposal, it is clearly not something
> that can be accomplished within a short time frame. I have a very
> specific need to indicate a document describes "a host" which is a
> combination of domain, port, and potentially protocol. I just need to
> say it formatted as a URI.

A simple approach would be to use a data: URI (see RFC 2397) of the form
"data:application/uri,http://www.ccil.org".  I proposed this for a related
purpose during the Great XML Namespace Debate, but it didn't get traction.

--
Your worships will perhaps be thinking          John Cowan
that it is an easy thing to blow up a dog?      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan