RE: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:36:31 -0700
To: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
CC: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>

Without passing judgment on your proposal, it is clearly not something that can be accomplished within a short time frame. I have a very specific need to indicate a document describes "a host" which is a combination of domain, port, and potentially protocol. I just need to say it formatted as a URI.

> Proposing anything else is simply an over-kill, let alone another URN.

If anything, it is your proposal that is an over-kill.

EHL