Re: Error handling in URIs

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:50:49 -0400
To: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> Sure, but just because everybody does odd things in practice does
> not necessarily mean that this needs to be noted in a standard.
>
> If they agree on an oddity, maybe, but if not, let them do what
> they wish.  A standard is an abstraction.  Not a collection of
> observed behaviour divided by statistics resulting in MUST at 80%.
>
> I think that is one of the problems I have when looking into an
> HTML 5 draft:  Some choices appear to be arbitrary, as they are
> not logical.

There is a fundamental difference between a prospective specification
such as HTML 4 and a retrospective one such as HTML 3.2, HTML 5 (in part),
RFC 1459 (IRC), or RFC 1321 (MD5).

--
A witness cannot give evidence of his           John Cowan
age unless he can remember being born.          cowan@ccil.org