Re: Comments on draft-duerst-mailto-bis-04.txt, please

From: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:59:40 -0700 (MST)
To: uri@w3.org

> >A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> >http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-mailto-bis-04.txt

I thought I mentioned this before, but don't remember what the outcome was.
AFAIK, browsers pretty universally treat %40 as equivalent to "@" in mailto
URIs. Ofuscating email addresses in this way is even recommended as an
antispam practice to fool automated address harvesters:

http://www.neilgunton.com/doc/spambot_trap (where I first read of it)
http://www.csarven.ca/hiding-email-addresses
http://www.rl-digital.com/2006/hide-email-address/

and so on... Google turns up quite a few.

Should the mailto I-D acknowledge this widespread equivalence in
implementations, even if it's not in keeping with the principle that "@" has a
reserved purpose and "%40" means something different?

Mike