Re: opaque uris and self-describing resources

From: Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:03:11 +0000
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Cc: uri@w3.org

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:53:04AM -0800, Erik Wilde wrote:
> i guess the more specific answer would be that if you GET the profile in
> some html page, then if you do understand that profile, you also understand
> that you should rather GET stdin, which means that the profile would
> somehow "semantically redirect" you to the "true" resource.

Well, you would never GET STDIN, because it's not possible - but the
idea is the same. The URI would be recognised by your application and
would essentially flip a mode switch somewhere that read from STDIN.

However, I would personally avoid using URIs for STDIN etc all in any
context that could be confused by trying to dereference actual
information resources.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman