Re: opaque uris and self-describing resources

paul, stop these nasty questions ;-)

Paul Prescod wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 4:36 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org> wrote:
>> Also, saying "std:in" carries absolutely no semantics by it's
>> self. Sure, you could publish a HTML profile somewhere, but you're
>> missing out on being able to advertise this profile's location using
>> the name it's self.
> If there is an HTML page at these links then how do you distinguish
> between a GET intended to get those pages from a GET intended to read
> from STDIN?

this goes right down to the core of some pretty fundamental problems
with the semantic web's fuzzy way of handling identity. steve pepper
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2007Dec/0076.html) just
refreshed our memory that even though the problem has been known for a
long time and is pretty essential, nobody seems to really care as long
as they can happily juggle lots of triples... ;-)

i guess the more specific answer would be that if you GET the profile in
some html page, then if you do understand that profile, you also
understand that you should rather GET stdin, which means that the
profile would somehow "semantically redirect" you to the "true" resource.

at least that is what i took away from the discussion of geolocation. in
a http-centric world, a geolocation is a http resource which (a) is a
regular web page (maybe displaying a map), and (b) to those who
understand the magic prefix or the embedded profile, is not just a web
page about the location, but the location itself.

cheers,

dret.