Re: file: URIs without host

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:54:30 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: uri@w3.org

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 14:34 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> [...]
>> ====
>>
>> Jena's RDF/XML side:
>>
>> However, a use case for such file URIs would be that we wish to create a
>> zip file including a complete application, which includes references to
>> data in the zip. When we unzip we want the references to work,
>> independent of both the machine or the directory.
>
> That case is why we have relative URI references; drop the scheme
> altogether if you want to refer to "nearby" things.
>
> If that won't work in this case, could you elaborate on why not?

A particular case that was interesting was this one (approximating)

<rdf:RDF
     xml:base="http://jena.hpl.hp.com/foo/"

    <owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
        <owl:imports rdf:resource="file:local/path"/>
    </owl:Ontology>

where the current behaviour is that file:local/path is resolved using
the current working directory at the time the import is executed.

Note the relative reference local/path does not work, because of the
xml:base. Obviously the file could be rewritten with a different (or
better absent) xml:base, but ...

Jeremy