Re: draft-gregorio-uritemplate-02.txt

From: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:03:28 +0700
To: <uri@w3.org>

> James M Snell scripsit:
>
> > For URI Templates they generally would be.  For IRI Templates, however,
> > given that the whole point behind IRI's is to allow non-ascii characters
> > to be used, it makes very little sense to limit the varname to the ASCII
> > alphabet.  Allowing this does not make the template any harder to parse.
>
> I may want to support IRI Templates in a language that supports Unicode
> fine, but has a limited set of identifier names.  That argues for
> limiting the space of variable names, and I don't see a compelling
> argument in favor of it.

What languages do you have in mind? Python (3000), Ruby, Java, Haskell, C, C#, C++, Visual Basic.NET, ECMAScript, and some/most Lisps all support non-latin characters in identifiers (usually based on Unicode Standard Annex 15).

I don't think that it makes sense for new specifications to step back into the Euro-centric past.

- Brian