[Need advice] URIs as part of the XSPF specification

From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@hartwork.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 01:24:36 +0200
To: uri@w3.org

Hello!

I have an URI-related problem here that I would love to hear
some advice to:

== Intro ==
XSPF [1] is an XML-based playlist format using URIs to list
locations of a track. The specification references the
obsoleted RFC 2396 when talking about URIs.

== Problem ==
The XSPF v1 spec [2] requires URIs to be RFC 2396 [3]. As you know
that RFC was superseded by RFC 3986 which now includes IPv6 for
example. The question now is whether URIs with a IPv6 address
should still make valid XSPF v1? Should the reference to
RFC 2396 in the XSPF spec be read as "the latest RFC for URIs"?
I think XSPF should follow the best-practice way for dealing
with RFC updates. Can you tell me what it is?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenments.

Sebastian

[1] http://www.xspf.org/
[2] http://www.xspf.org/xspf-v1.html
[3] http://www.xspf.org/xspf-v1.html#rfc.section.2.3.1