Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

Julian Reschke schrieb:

> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>> Ok, I think I originally wanted to ask two questions:
>>
>> Question 1: would you agree, that for following reasons it is better
>> style if get-dereferenceable resources do not end with a slash:
>>
>>        1. It is not always clear for which resources you may want to
>>           create subordinate resource in future, and you don't want to
>>           change URIs
>
> That may be true, but sounds to me like an edge case that doesn't need
> to be optimized. If a form without "/" was chosen, and later it's
> found to be a collection, changing the URL (and letting the old URL
> redirect) doesn't seem to be a big issue to me.
Changing URLs may not be a big issues when just retrieving them with get
(except the maintainer has to adapt relative links), however references
to the URL in the context of meta-information get lost. All
annotea-annotations are away, if you merge your bookmarks you may get
duplicate entry, your Foaf:Agent which is functionally grounded with
foaf:homepage duplicates, ...

>>        2. The mapping meaning-url should be as consistent as possible,
>>           but the fact that a resource has, or possibly will have
>>           subordinate resources is not essential to the meaning
>
> Hard to say.
let's try, can you say which of the following documents (on w3.org) is
access with and which without a trailing slash?

- Overview of Amaya
- Overview of Jigsaw
- Design of Jigsaw
- The RDF-Primer
- learning CSS
- WebCGM 1.0 Second Release (a W3C Recommendation)
- RDF/XML Syntax Specification (Revised) (a W3C Recommendation)

The solution is in [1], if you get them all right there's probably a
logic I'm just missing

>>        3. When saving a representation of a resource to disk, client
>>           agent suggest/choose better names, if the URL does not end wit
>>           a slash
> Example?
Try to download and save a representation of
<http://gmuer.ch/2006/01/29/test/> and of
<http://gmuer.ch/2006/01/29/another-test> with you favorites clients
(both resources have application/pdf,  text/rtf and
application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text representations) - with the
clients I've tested the filename for the first resource has no relation
at all with the url, while with the second url, the file gets named like
"another-test.rdf".

http://de.gustibus.info/disputandum/?value=false

>>        5. Oakham's razor and the waste of bandwith :-)
>>

>> Question 2: am I missing something, or all webdav clients I tested
>> broken, when they retrieve collections without a trailing slash?
>
> I'm not sure what you're referring to. Please provide an example.
The versions I've tested of davfs2, of the microsoft windows
webdav-client and of konqueror (the latter only when pressing reload, or
moving/copying a file to a previously opened folder) send a "PROPFIND
/foo HTTP/1.1" when the user requests a listing of the collection "/foo/".

regards,
reto

[1] Solution puzzle 1: without, with, without, with, without, referenced
without but redirect to with, with. (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Amaya,
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/,
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/Programmer/design,
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/, http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning,