Mailto & ima (was RFC 2822 email addresses in tag URIs)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:12:35 +0100, Frank Ellermann
<nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

> It's at a very early stage, and I won't bet that it flies in
> the next years, but OTOH it would be a bad plan if you limit
> tag URLs _unnecessarily_ in a way that cannot work with future
> I18N Mail Addresses (= IMA).

Yes. One of the ideas floated is that a person might have two email
addresses - one in his native language and one in strict ASCII, and the
mail delivery mechanism would deliver to the first if it knew how, but
drop down to the second if it was forced to use existing SMTP
implementations. But it should deliver to one or the other, but not both.

So how does the guy publish his email address on his web page - or how
might one extend the mailto URI to provide that capability? I don't think
this is the time to look into that seriously, but if anyone has any bright
ideas as to how it might look, then it would be interesting to hear them.

Cc to <ima@ietf.org>, but Reply-To set here.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.