RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in 2717/8-bis

From: Weibel,Stu <weibel@oclc.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:47:10 -0500
To: <uri@w3.org>

Last week, I raised a question concerning the uniqueness of scheme
tokens for provisionally-registered schemes in Hansen 2717/18-bis.  It
is a fundamental question concerning the functionality of the proposed
procedure.  The stated intent of the document -- to NOT assure
uniqueness for IANA-registered tokens -- represents, in my estimation, a
severe deficiency which can easily be rectified.

Larry Masinter's response to my question was, in part,

> In any case, if you don't like the proposed process,
> what would you propose in its place?
> This seems to me like the best we can do,
> given all the requirements.

What I propose is, very simply, that IANA-registered tokens be unique.
And yes, on a first come, first-served basis.  To do otherwise is to
strip the U from URI under the imprimatur of IANA.  Surely this cannot
be judged a good thing for Internet architecture?

Larry raised the point that:

> The proposed registration rules are based on the fact
> that it is possible to invent and deploy a URI scheme
> without IANA and IESG approval.

This may be the case, but shouldn't we be providing incentives to reduce
both the likelihood and impact of this happening?  Assuring that ALL
IANA-registered URI scheme tokens are unique is a step in this
direction.

stu

Stuart Weibel
Senior Research Scientist