Re: #foo URI references

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:59:29 -0400
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org

Paul Grosso scripsit:

> >No, that won't happen under RFC 2396 bis; it is required to use the
> >existing document if the base URI matches the document URI.
>
> I don't understand.  Whose base URI?

Sorry, I meant to write that if the non-fragment part of the URI matches
the base URI, then the current document is not re-fetched.  So in
the document "http://example.com/foo.html", the URIs
"http://example.com/foo.html#bar" and "#bar" both refer
to the referent of "bar" in the current document.

> In my case, I've used xml:base to set the base URI to another
> document, so it doesn't match the document URI.

Ah, I understand the use case now.  Yes, then the change will impact you.

--
Income tax, if I may be pardoned for saying so,         John Cowan
is a tax on income.  --Lord Macnaghten (1901)           jcowan@reutershealth.com