RFC2396bis, hier-part ambiguity

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:52:17 +0000
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>

I just got caught by the hier-part production ambiguity.

May I suggest that a note be placed close to the hier-part production in
section 3 referencing the text in section 4.3?

[later]

I'm finding there are a number of other areas in which the grammar is
ambiguous.  Unfortunately, using a "greedy" parse approach doesn't always
work, since some parts of the grammar fail if the previous sections are
greedy-matched;  e.g. domainlabel; qualified.

(These are pretty picky points, which I'm noticing because I've tried to
build a functional-language parser directly from the grammar as
given.  I've got all test cases parsing OK now, but I've had to add in a
few messy patches to get the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a "normal"
parser.)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>