RE: resources and URIs and specification text

[[
    This document specifies the syntax of URIs, which are a form of
    global identifier used in Web protocols and languages.
]]

I'm a bit lost here with regard to what is intended by 'Web protocols and
languages'. What are they?

But if 'protocol' has anything to do with Internet transport protocols, then
where does that leave URI schemes such as 'mailto', 'data', 'tel', 'fax',
'modem', etc.?

In short, is URI something to do with the Internet or something to do with
the Web (whatever that might be)?

Tony