Re: resources and URIs and specification text

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 09:14, Tim Bray wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
>

> > suggested text from Hayes
> > Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:35:12 -0500
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2003Apr/0063.html
>
> For the record, I also thought Hayes' text was good.  But we should also
> go and check out Roy's latest rewrite and see if we still think that.

"A resource is a source of supply or support within the
context of a given system."
  --
http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#rfc.section.1.1

That doesn't appeal to me. The dc:title property doesn't
seem to match that definition very well. I still prefer
the text from Hayes on 23 Apr:

"This document specifies the syntax of URIs, which are a form of
global identifier used in Web protocols and languages.  Particular
uses of URIs, and their intended meanings in various contexts, are
described in other specifications. In general, the entities referred
to or identified by URIs when used in Web contexts are called
"resources"., but this document does not specify the nature of
resources or to restrict resources to any particular category of
entities."