Re: Mailing List for iDNR (was RE: iDNR, an alternative name resolution , protocol)B

Howdy,

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Tripp Lilley wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Larry Masinter wrote:

> > this discussion.
>
> If we're just discussing alternate URI schemes, then I agree. However, I
> think we're getting into far more than that. Is there already a list for

the document Larry has proposed, insofar as it does deal specifically
with handling i18n in URI.

However, the document does touch on issues of handling non-ascii characters
(specifically, matching, transitioning between 7-bit and 8-bit systems)
that are clearly more general than URI.  If there is to be a serious
discussion of THOSE issues in the broader context, a new discussion forum
(or an existing one, more appropriate than uri@bunyip.com) would be excellent.

I can see the need for an IETF-standard way of handling things like
relaxed character-matching (e.g., case-insensitivity, in 7-bit world),
because we are at the point where different protocols are going to take
different approaches  (== mess).  In my opinion, even with my limited
understanding of the issues, this will have to be an engineering compromise
solution, because I don't know if there is a globally-acceptable
answer to:

	should é match E in a case-insensitive-style match

(Hint: ask a native French speaker from Québec, and ask one from France).

Leslie.

    If cats had bumper stickers:                  Leslie Daigle

      "I wake for food."                          Bunyip Information Systems
                -- ThinkingCat                    (514) 875-8611
                                                  leslie@bunyip.com