Re: Globalizing URIs

Gavin Nicol (
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:43:09 -0400

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:43:09 -0400
From: Gavin Nicol <>
Subject: Re: Globalizing URIs

>The problem is in people who can't recognize fancy characters, not
>in machines.
Partly true, and people make decisions by what they know.

>> At that point in time, this statement will be false.
>Which statement?
Your statement "Anything with local option can't interoperate

>> Of course, there is a high probability that the WWW will be obsolete
>> by the time multilingual systems become very widespread ;-)
>Hyper text has nothing to do with globalization. We need multilingual
>system at the plain text level.
Define plain text, and then define it's usefulness, and I might
agree. All meaningful text has markup of sorts.

Anyway, I meant that the WWW is broken, and will probably be replaced
within 10 years, which is how long I think it might take for truly
multilingual systems to become very common.