Re: Globalizing URIs

Gavin Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:43:09 -0400

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:43:09 -0400
From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
To: mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Cc: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: Globalizing URIs

>The problem is in people who can't recognize fancy characters, not
>in machines.

Partly true, and people make decisions by what they know.

>> At that point in time, this statement will be false.
>
>Which statement?

Your statement "Anything with local option can't interoperate
globally."

>> Of course, there is a high probability that the WWW will be obsolete
>> by the time multilingual systems become very widespread ;-)
>
>Hyper text has nothing to do with globalization. We need multilingual
>system at the plain text level.

Define plain text, and then define it's usefulness, and I might
agree. All meaningful text has markup of sorts.

Anyway, I meant that the WWW is broken, and will probably be replaced
within 10 years, which is how long I think it might take for truly
multilingual systems to become very common.