Re: Globalizing URIs

Masataka Ohta (mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp)
Fri, 1 Sep 95 15:10:29 JST

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: Globalizing URIs
To: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 15:10:29 JST
Cc: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, uri@bunyip.com

> >> I think people will to work in ASCII is forced to, but I think most
> >> people *desire* to work in their native language.
> >
> >What's the problem? Japanese will use Japanese with ASCII Latin
> >characters.
>
> That is fine for you, but there are people who do not feel as you
> do. Even some European users feel dissatisfied.

There are a lot of Eurpeans who think all the characters in the
world are like Latin, who created half-solutions such as 8859/1
or Unicode.

But, I don't think they can distinguish Latin "A" and Greek
capital letter of alpha.

> >> We should at the very least give people a choice.
> >
> >No. Anything with local option can't interoperate globally.
>
> I think the premise here is that not all systems can handle
> multilingual text. This is true now, but will not be in the future.

The problem is in people who can't recognize fancy characters, not
in machines.

> At
> that point in time, this statement will be false.

Which statement?

> Of course, there is a high probability that the WWW will be obsolete
> by the time multilingual systems become very widespread ;-)

Hyper text has nothing to do with globalization. We need multilingual
system at the plain text level.

							Masataka Ohta